Mgr, Systems Engineering Akron, OH Posted: 5/12/2021
A Mgr, Engineering Systems job in Akron, Ohio is currently available through Belcan. In this role, you will leads the activities and operations of the Systems team through assigning, coordinating, reviewing, and participating directly in development programs or functional initiatives.
Job Title: Mgr, Systems Engineering
The Manager, Systems Engineering leads the activities and operations of the Systems team through assigning, coordinating, reviewing, and participating directly in development programs or functional initiatives. Develops, implements and continuously improves the standards, policies and procedures for all work performed in the Systems Engineering department.
Job Core Responsibilities
* Responsible for managing Center of Excellence (COE) design-related activities through the entire product life cycle (inception thru end of life) to achieve business unit"s objectives for growth, profitability and customer satisfaction.
* Manages COE activities to meet business case targets (Cost, Technical and Schedule), strategic flow-down objectives, and technology advancement of products/systems within the COE.
* Identify/improve processes, tools and methods standardization leveraging best practices or other industry benchmarks to enhance COE capabilities, efficiency, competitiveness and 'Design Right the first time' execution.
* Works with Product Line Experts, Subject Matter Experts and COE Director to define R&T/Product Roadmaps.
* Works with COE Director to identify new tools, CAPEX requirements for the COE.
* Oversees and approves the technical output of the department to ensure that it is technically sound and in compliance with all internal and external regulatory standards.
* Responsible for developing team skills and competencies. Identifies needs for new competencies, resources and training needs. Develops relations with training establishments that deliver key skills/competencies training.
* Acts as a mentor to staff providing constructive feedback and coaching. Fosters team spirit, pride and group identity. Actively promotes professional accreditation and career progression.
* Responsible for structured development program/onboarding for new hires.
* Maintains resource plan for the functional area. Works closely with Programs office to provide appropriate resources against program needs to ensure targets are met with optimum utilization and effectiveness.
* Manages department budget. Participates on regular governance reviews to ensure financial objectives are being met.
* Supports bid phase activities including bid decision, trade-off studies, non-recurring cost (NRC) and recurring cost (RC) estimates and technical proposal preparation and review.
* Responsible for managing/monitoring COE performance with respect to NRC and RC execution and competitiveness, rework costs, milestone performance and product quality/performance.
* Works with other functions (Customer Support, Quality, Supply Chain, Operations, etc.) to support products during the whole life cycle (production support + product technical support).
* Exercises authority in hiring, career development, performance appraisal, salary adjustments, promotion, discipline, health, safety and the general employee relations of direct reports.
* Determines if assistance is required from outside contractors, initiates arrangements, provides technical data and assists contractors with related support services.
* Responsible for time and attendance performance of the team, approves overtime payments, authorizes holiday/vacation time.
Education: Bachelor degree in Engineering; MBA or equivalent degree in Engineering Management preferred
Years" Experience: Minimum 5 years management/leadership experience with demonstrated ability to lead a group of engineers, or large projects, across the total product life cycle (R&T, NPI, Production, In-service)
* Project Management Experience - ability to manage internal /external (Customers/Supplier) interfaces
* Strong emotional intelligence and ability to motivate others
* Excellent planning, organizational, analytical, leadership, interpersonal, decision-making, problem-solving, oral communication and written communication skills
* Experience and proficient at working across functions within the organization
* Candidate must have CI/Lean experience with a passion/proven track record for making process improvements with measurable results, e.g. Kaizen, Process FMEA, Six Sigma
* Experience of Systems Engineering Development Process and in particular the requirements and demands of ARP4754A
* Working knowledge of ARP4761
* Working knowledge of DO-160
* Familiarity with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) principles and Design for Manufacturing and Assembly (DFMA)
* Policy deployment/strategy development experience
* Experience in working in a multi-cultural, diverse organization
* Change management facilitator experience
If you are interested in this role, please apply via the apply now link provided. Our overriding goal is to provide quality staffing solutions that help people, organizations, and communities succeed. Belcan is a team-driven Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.belcan.com