Supply Chain & Manufacturing SBU
Manufacturing Engineer (Thrust Chamber Assembly) Kent, WA Posted: 5/14/2021
Supply Chain & Manufacturing SBU
A Manufacturing Engineer job in Kent, WA is available at Belcan. As an integral member of the team you will use data to drive product and process improvements, relay design improvements to engineering, and in general serve as a direct feedback loop between design, supply chain, in-house fabrication and assembly. This position will directly impact the history of space exploration and will require your dedicated commitment, adaptability, persistence, resourcefulness, engagement with team members, critical thinking skills, detailed attention towards safe and repeatable human spaceflight.
* Identify, define, develop, implement, and optimize new or existing thrust chamber manufacturing processes (fabrication, inspection, cleaning, assembly, integration, and test)
* Conduct fabrication DFMA and PFMEA studies to strengthen the feedback loop between design, build, and test
* Develop containment and remedial actions for non-conforming materials and write rework or scrap disposition instructions while collaborating with design and quality functions.
* Analyze quality data and non-conforming materials and process data to drive root cause and correction efforts for meaningful and lasting improvements.
* Provide data to drive decisions from DFM and DFA studies factoring historical product performance, ease of manufacturing, and quality/first-pass-yield data.
* Translate engineering intent, drawings, and configurations into fully functional hardware
* Drive inputs to the selection of material and design as required
* Define how to prepare hardware for manufacturing, test, qualification, and flight worthiness
* Identify, develop, and deploy new fabrication manufacturing methods (or refine existing) to improve quality, reduce cost, and optimize build schedule
* Develop thrust chamber fabrication manufacturing work instructions to clearly define the manufacturing process: receiving inspection, fabrication, assembly, test, integration, and refurbishment as required
* Closely manage cost, quality, build sequence, and schedule of hardware throughout the entire manufacturing process
* Perform engineering drawing review and provide final approval for manufacturing
* Bachelor of Science in Mechanical, Manufacturing, or Aerospace Engineering (other relevant fields may apply) from an accredited university.
* 5+ years of manufacturing engineering experience working in a production environment.
* Mastery of engineering fundamentals for mechanical design and manufacturing including working knowledge of GD&T.
* Experience in hardware manufacturing (i.e. castings, forgings, stampings, additively manufactured components, welding, joining, machining, cleaning, non-destructive testing methods, tight tolerance assembly, leak testing, final acceptance testing of integrated hardware
* Proven experience and successful track record developing/starting new manufacturing processes and maintaining and controlling existing successful processes without erosion.
* Experience with dispositioning non-conforming materials, developing repair and rework instructions and analyzing chronic quality data to create root cause and correction action reports as required.
* Strong written, personal, technical, and software skills such as MRP, Issue Tracking, Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.
* Ability to develop processes compliant to industry quality systems such as AS9100.
* Must be a U.S. citizen or national or U.S. permanent resident
* Flexibility with regard to occasional support of second shift.
Desired (Would like to see 1 or more of the desired qualities below)
* Knowledge and experience using CREO and Windchill
* Working knowledge of thrust chamber equipment and assemblies associated with aerospace applications.
* Experience and knowledge with 3D printing (additive manufacturing) of Inconel and other exotic metal parts
* Experience and knowledge with brazing aerospace components and assembles
If you are interested in this Manufacturing Engineer job please apply via the "apply now" link provided. As an employee with Belcan Engineering, you will be part of one of the largest engineering firms in the United States. We maintain a small-company atmosphere as well as open communication at all levels of our organization, allowing for much more dynamic decision-making processes. We offer flexible schedules as well as an excellent mentoring system to ensure that you have all of the knowledge and tools you need to meet a diverse range of engineering challenges. You will also have opportunities to advance to positions of greater responsibility, including management roles. Your hard work and professional dedication will be rewarded with a competitive compensation package.
Belcan is an equal opportunity employer. EOE/M/F/D/V
Build a challenging and rewarding career with an industry leader!